Thank you for your interest in submitting a proposal for LASA2023: América Latina y el Caribe: pensar, representar y luchar por los derechos, taking place from May 24–27. When submitting proposals, please follow the participation rules described below:
Rule 1: Participation Limitation
- Participants are limited to one paper per Congress, no exceptions. If a participant has submitted an individual proposal, she/he may not be added to a panel proposal. Additionally, if a participant is a co-author, that paper counts as the only paper.
- Participants can only have four active participations per Congress. Being an organizer or a contact person does not count towards these participations. The four active participations may take the form of:
Paper presenter (in a panel)
Presenter without paper (in a roundtable)
Presenter without paper (in a workshop)
Presenter without a paper (in a book presentation)
Discussant (in a panel, workshop, or roundtable)
Chair (in a panel, workshop, or roundtable)
- Panel proposals must have a minimum of three and a maximum of five papers. Workshop and roundtable proposals must have a minimum of three participants and there is no maximum.
- Panels, workshops, and roundtables should have at least one session organizer (maximum two), one chair (maximum two), and a discussant (it is not mandatory, but highly recommended).
- The rules for the Section sessions are the same than for the regular sessions.
- LASA Travel Grants provide support for participants traveling to the Congress city. Therefore, only LASA2023 participants in-person, in Vancouver, Canada, are eligible to receive the discretionary travel grant.
- Travel grant requests can only be sent by the participant requesting the grant and can only be given to individuals who have a paper accepted in the Congress.
Participants who received a Congress registration grant for the Virtual Congresses LASA2020, LASA2021, and LASA2022, may reapply for a travel grant for the next Congress LASA2023.
Rule 2: Membership Requirement
The following rules are related specifically to the type of submission proposal:
Individual submissions: The individual submitter and co-author(s) must become/be current LASA members in order to submit a proposal and travel grant request(s). Each co-author must send a separate travel grant request.
Panel submissions: All participants in the panel must become/be current LASA members in order to be included in the proposal. All panelists, as LASA members, can submit their individual travel grant requests.
Workshop or Roundtable submissions: All participants must become/be current LASA members in order to be included in the proposal. No workshop or roundtable participants may request a travel grant unless they also have a paper in the Congress.
Section submissions: All participants must become/be current LASA members and current members of the specific Section where they intend to participate. All paper presenters in a Section session, as LASA members, can submit their individual travel grant requests.
The deadline for renewing/obtaining LASA membership for proposal submission is September 8, 2022, at 17:00 hrs. EDT.
Please do not wait until the deadline to become a member, renew your membership, or submit a proposal.
Rule 3: All Access Renewal
Once proposals have been approved, all participants are required to have their All Access subscription, which includes the LASA2023 registration, valid until May 28, 2023, to participate.
All Access renewal must take place before Friday, March 10, 2023, at 17:00 hrs EDT. If the participant does not renew by this deadline, they may be removed from the program. Additionally, sessions may be cancelled or changed due to insufficient paper presenters.
Rule 4: Paper Delivery
As a paper presenter, you have two important obligations:
- To ensure that the members of your panel, especially discussants, receive your paper in time to read it carefully prior to the meeting.
- To submit your paper for the Congress proceedings and memories. Note: Your paper should not be considered published because it is posted on the LASA website.
Rule 5: Congress Schedule
The sessions will be scheduled between the afternoon of Wednesday, May 24, until the end of the day on Saturday, May 27, 2023. Participants are expected to be available for presenting during this time. Please note that scheduling change requests cannot be honored.